Most people suffer from dark circles under the eyes, which includes both men & women of all ages but sometimes it is due to heredity .
Some causes of dark circles includes issues related to facial aging & lifestyle causes with other miscellaneous. We’ll see the causes category wise :-
1. Facial Aging- As we get older,we lose one of the fat surrounding our eyes,which results in the following
- Thinning of under eye skin
- Under eye volume loss
- Lower eyelid laxity
- Bulging under eye fat
2. Lifestyle causes
- Hyperpigmentation caused by sun damage
- Excessive Alcohol consumption
- Excessive Smoking
- Too much caffeine consumption
- Excessive Stress
- Sleep Deprivation
- Dietary deficiencies
3. Other Miscellaneous Causes-
- Skin pigmentation abnormalities like discoloration
- Allergies like nasal congestion as they dilate the blood vessels that drain from the area around your eyes.
- Medical conditions like thyroid problems,eczema etc)
- Oversleeping can also cause dark circles.
- Deficiency or lack of iron in the body can also be cause of dark circles.
- Too much sun exposure encourage your body to produce more melanin(which can cause dark circles).
- Environmental Exposure
- Even Heredity can also plays major role in the cause of dark circles.
Treatments for Dark Circle- Before undergoing any dark circles treatments,it is important to know the cause of it,consult your dermatologist to know the exact cause.
- Dark Circle Eye Creams (Which are easily available in market and highly recommended by Dermatologists)
- IPL(Intense Pulsed Light treatment) or Photofacials
- Skin resurfacing for under eye Dark circles like laser resurfacing,micro-currents & eye pad machines(latest)
These above treatments would help you to get rid of dark circles.
Dark Eye Circle Prevention
- Get enough rest. Sleep deprivation only makes dark eye circles more obvious.
- A gently applied black tea bag or cold compress can reduce blood vessel dilation.
- To decrease pigmentation, protect against the sun by wearing (large) sunglasses.
- Slight elevation of the head during sleep will help prevent fluids from draining toward the eyes.
- Refrain from smoking. If you already smoke, quit now.
- Nasal decongestants, such as saline spray or a saltwater solution, can help prevent blood vessel dilation.
- Don’t rub the area around the eyes; it will only make the condition worse.
- Use good Eye cream(with spf ) at day. And use night cream for face and apply cream too.
- remove your Eye make up regularly at night with either rice water(readymade rice water make up removal re available in the market.
- Massage your under eye area with either serum or almond oil.